Thursday, March 7, 2024

Northlink and Loch Ness

One of the best parts of going to Shetland is the overnight ferry. It's such a fun experience to board the large and fancy (to me) ship, settle in our cabin, and eat dinner. The crossing was supposed to be pretty calm - but in the end, it was pretty exciting - up, down, side to side. 

A picture I took of the ferry at night before our crossing. 

The reception desk displays real shields from Up Helly Aa festivals gone by.

Wendy out on the back deck.

The cafe seating. The chairs are tethered to the floor, the tables have a lip to keep things on them, and they'd laid out grippy shelf liner to keep things in place. Such is winter in the North Sea. 

Arriving in Aberdeen in the morning. 

We then drove west, across Scotland, stopping in the small town of Elgin for the Walker Shortbread factory store. My favorite is the stem ginger cookies - I'm hoping to make such a thing once I get home. 

And then we got to the fabled Loch Ness. I'm not sure what I expected, but it's just a wide and very long inland loch, or lake, with hills rising on both sides. 

We walked down to the loch and of course I had to wade!

Several more hours of winding roads, mountain passes, castles, and a bridge, and we got to the Isle of Skye and then Portree, where all the signs are in Gaelic as well as English. 







No comments:

Post a Comment