Saturday, December 19, 2015

First day on the trail

Today (Thursday) was the day we finally made it to the trekking part of our trekking adventure. I don't really have the words for how it felt to fly into the Lukla airport, which is the official start of trekking.  I know I used the word amazing a lot today. Amazing mountains, amazing clear blue rushing rivers. The most adorable dogs that, amazingly, laid around dozing, unconcerned about the people walking all around them. Then there were the awesome donkeys and the yak- cow hybrids steadily plodding along covered with blankets, gear, and bells. And the really interesting other trekkers from all over the place.  I think I used the word happy a lot today too. Mostly I am so happy to be here and happy to use all this strength and stamina I have worked so hard to build up this last year. My goal was to be in shape enough to truly enjoy this adventure. I had no idea it would be quite so enjoyable.  -Wendy

What a variety of noise experiences we've had over the last three days.  First the airport - full of loudspeakers, the hum of machinery, the beeping of carts.   Then Kathmandu- barking dogs and honking horns - followed by the small plane which was so loud they gave us cotton for our ears - then finally the peace of the mountains.   It is not silent here - but the sounds are quite different.  The river roars in the valley below the trail and the wind wanders in the branches overhead.  Occasionally there are birds or chickens.   And every now and again a young porter comes by with an I pod playing- just to remind us that electric devices still exist. - Meg




No comments:

Post a Comment