Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Cotton

I love cotton. Most of my life, I've tried to surround myself with cotton: shirts, pants, sheets, socks, and shopping bags. I have high thread count cotton, pima cotton and organic cotton. But on this trip, there's a rule: No cotton.

That's because wet cotton feels awful. Damp. Cold. And it dries slowly unless you apply quantities of heat, wind or time. It's easy to get a chill standing around in sweaty cotton, and it's hard to try cotton overnight in an unheated lodge room.

So I've been slowly outfitting myself in head-to-toe not-cotton.


Down coat: Thick down coat with thin nylon cover. Windproof and packable. 26 oz.

Fleece pullover: Softer than cotton, this pullover is great for layering, and so comfy I don't want to take it off. 7.5 oz.

Wicking top: These things are made of polyester, and I usually hate that.  But these are supposed to pull moisture away from your skin and dry fast. I'm giving the the benefit of the doubt, but so far my first one from Savers feels pretty good. 6 oz.




Convertible pants: I've never had a pair of these, but Meg and Adam love theirs, so I've ordered some. The nylon dries fast, is lightweight, and the legs zip off to turn them into instant shorts. My kind of dual purpose! 10 oz.

Undies: Again, I've always worn cotton, but I ordered some microfiber ones from Jockey last summer, and was astonished to find that I actually like them. Maybe better than cotton. When they get sweaty, they dry faster! 2 oz.

Socks: I still love the feel of a nice clean, dry, thick pair of cotton socks. But once they're dirty and damp, I'd much prefer wool. Smartwool brand convinced me that wool didn't have to be itchy, but eventually I found out that most merino wool does the trick. 5 oz.



Headband: I'm sure hats are better. They're certainly warmer. But I hate winter hats - I much prefer a simple headband. So that's what I'm taking. 1 oz.

Scarf: I'm a real convert to dressing in layers. I bundle up in coats, hat, scarf, and mittens when I first start walking, then slowly peel off all the extras. And cashmere is so soft and warm. I love the bright red, though it clashes dreadfully with my pack! 4 oz.

Gloves: I found these wool-blend gloves at the grocery store near my mom's house in Kansas, but they're great. Thick, warm and soft. But I might take my thinner pair from Target that are neon yellow. 3 oz.

Half way home last week, you can see that I'm all warmed up. I've already stowed my headband, scarf, and gloves. I'm wearing my packa (pack cover + rain/wind coat) but I've taken off the front jacket part. And I've even pushed up my sleeves, despite the snow on the ground. I'm toasty and dry in my not-cotton layers.










No comments:

Post a Comment